Things somewhat hectic preparing for imminent completion of my dissertation and imminent arrival of our first baby in four weeks’ time, so just some links for now:
- Martin Martin’s 1698 account of a voyage to St Kilda at Airs, Waters, Places, triggered I suspect by this article in the Guardian last weekend.
- A considered but sympathetic review of Keith Thomas’s The Ends of Life in Early Modern England at Westminster Wisdom.
- Readers of the excellent new blog Early Modern Online Bibliography are entitled to a free trial of the Burney Collection of newspapers online. This includes lots of seventeenth-century newsbooks that are fully text searchable, unlike EEBO at present. It’s also kicked off an interesting discussion, to which I have contributed this comment.
- Gavin Robinson on combat roles and patriarchy in early modern England. I wish Gavin posted more often but the wait is worth it for posts like this.
- Sarah Werner on primers in English and Latin.
- CFP for a conference on the perils of print culture.